Thursday, February 01, 2007

The soundtrack of my life

If I could choose a soundtrack for my life, it would be cello music.

I came to this notion in December, when a young cellist was among the musicians for our 11 p.m. Christmas Eve service.

Just as one rehearsal was about to begin, EMTS had to be called to help someone in the sanctuary who was in medical distress. This delayed our rehearsal, but the cellist kept playing. His music seemed to cover the circumstances in calm and even provided a hopeful note.

That's when I thought, wouldn't it be wonderful to have a cello as the soundtrack of life. Bringing resonance and vibrance and beauty as the background to all our existence.

I was reminded of this again at Vespers last night when a cellist with the San Diego Symphony added her musical gifts to worship.

I don't have a cello as the soundtrack to my life, but the thought of having one does help me remember that it is possible to find resonance and vibrance and beauty in all of life.

I don't have a cello as the sountrack to my life, but I do have a friend who can burst into a song as the backdrop for almost any occasion. Last night it was Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

Symphony cello and Queen all in the same night -- now that's a soundtrack!

No comments: